My client is a leading, well established Principal Contractor with an excellent name in the industry for quality and finish are searching for a proven Technical Services Manager to manage both a Healthcare project in Oxford and a High End Residential project in West London reporting to the Lead MEP Manager.
The Technical Services Manager is responsible for all services issues of a technical nature and reports
with the Project Manager to the Director responsible.
During the proposal stage, the Technical Services Manager assists the Project Manager in preparing
the Contractors’ proposals and technical services aspects of the proposal. The technical Services
Manager becomes involved at the proposal stage, and is responsible for liaising with the project
manager regarding individual sections of the document. In conjunction with the Project Manager
and bid team he must prepare the construction methodology, to ensure that the technical services
content & strategy merge with the proposed construction sequence. These shall include as a
- Reviewing the details including design information, drawings, specifications and any information
- relating to the building itself - scope interrogation.
- Arrange meetings with key supply chain members, obtain buy in, into the programme, engage
- with the Directors and secure their own most talented management teams.
- Arrange meetings with the Professional Team and form early relationships by engaging and
- understanding the design briefs and project objectives.
- Review of all plant physical dimensions to for incorporation in to the logistics plan.
- Review & produce of methodology to ensure safe installation approach.
- Review & identify key programme risks & mitigation measures.
- Review & production of commissioning strategy
- Pre-Construction Phase
- The Technical Services Manager is involved in the planning and procurement processes:
- Prepare at the pre-construction phase the Technical Services Strategy document outlining the
- key elements & dates of the technical services programme & methodology.
- Liaises with the Project Manager to produce the construction programme.
- Review the technical services procurement strategy (bundled / unbundled etc.,)
- Liaises with the commercial manager to produce trade contractor scoping documents &
- supporting commercial manager to ensure compliant tender returns.
- Assists with the procurement process, assists with the Trade Contractor selection, attends Trade
- Contractor selection meetings, assists in start-up, progress meetings, agrees trade programmes
- and information, release schedules with Trade Contractors.
- Prepare temporary electrical services plan.
- Review any existing base build services and interfaces with new installation.
- Arrange validation & commissioning checks and propose condition surveys as appropriate.
- Evaluate design information, review drawings and specifications.
- Advices on buildability and product selection
- Identifies Long Lead items or trades.
- Defines Trade Contractor & professional team liaison for design team coordination & workshops
The Technical Services Managers involvement is heaviest at this stage. They are responsible for technical aspects of the technical services installation, which normally play a major role in the
The Technical Services Manager is involved in the following activities:
- Monitors technical services Contractors’ performance, hold regular progress meetings with
- Trade Contractors, review progress of design, liaise with the Design Team, identify and solve
- Address problems with design and construction, quality and progress and solutions.
- Provide technical support to the Construction Manager to implement & manage the site
- Monitor the request, development and issue of Operation and Maintenance Manuals and
- ‘As Built’ information from Trade Contractors.
- Develop specialist and commissioning programmes with Trade Contractors, Planners and
- Construction Managers.
- Coordinates Technical Services design team & Building Control inspections.
- Assists with practical completion, technical support coordination of snagging lists, technical
- support co-ordination of de-snagging process, manage and witness commissioning, confirm
- completion of work and arrange final inspections, obtain O&M manuals and ‘As Built’
- information, arranges and manages Client training.
Post Construction Phase
The Technical Services Manager is responsible for resolving any defects reported by the Client during
the defects period, relating to technical services.