Specific Technical Knowledge & Skills:
1. Understanding of the tender process – traditional, Detail and Build and Design & Build
2. Understanding of the construction / build process including MEP.
3. Understanding of design risk
4. Understanding of contract risk
5. People management
6. Commercial awareness
8. Time & Team management
9. Technical design detailing
10. Design software and hardware management/development
11. Pitch design and detail design when required
12. Excellent CAD skills, and understanding 3D Visualisation & BIM.
Typical Job Function (non-exhaustive list):
1. Develop scope of work internally and for subcontractors – “Construction Documentation”
2. Develop, implement and maintain a design management procedure for drawings, specifications and other technical documents produced in-house or through external parties.
3. Develop a design responsibility matrix along with a distribution matrix project to project.
4. Identify documents required for a project based on drawings, finish/room schedules, door schedules and specifications. Develop into a project check sheet/project report.
5. Develop design release schedules to inform the construction programme.
6. Appraise subcontractor design capability and monitor performance from a design perspective.
7. Familiar with building regulations and interpretation into design and liaison with building control.
8. Familiar with general planning requirements.
9. Review employers requirements & CDP’s and implement design elements.
10. Formulate technical solutions and provide support to other team members.
11. Ability to value engineer where required.
12. Ability to ‘reverse value engineer’ and look for opportunity to increase scope and contract value and introduce this at the optimum time to increase project profitability.
13. Carry out regular site inspections and ensure construction in line with design and quality standards.
14. Seek to establish building data including compilation of as built information of base build structure, envelope and MEP installation in particular. Survey as necessary.
15. Provide oversight to tender proposals to ensure buildability.
16. Provide programme analysis for design elements at tender stage and during delivery of projects.
17. Liaise with the designer/architects on information flow and design strategy.
18. Coordinate internal design in the preparation of shop drawings, coordination with sub-contractors design, liaison with internal site pre-construction and construction team.
19. Assist with technical queries however they come about.
20. Assist in the preparation of contractors proposals.
21. Coordinate FF&E.
22. Lead and manage design coordination meetings, assigning actions and follow up.
23. Be proficient in the use of CAD and be able to produce drawings / details as part of the CAD team as and when required and to suit the changing workload.
24. Production of construction details and working shop drawings, develop a technical library.