Our Client focusses on mechanical projects in excess of £1m often scheme designed with final design responsibility or just CDP elements. They have full inhouse design and drawing capability to BIM level. These elements of work comprise of but not limited to, ventilation systems, air-conditioning, hot and cold-water services, drainage, gas, control systems and fire systems to name a few.
Our client is able to offer an exciting new opportunity for a driven individual to join our dedicated team. They are currently looking to engage with an individual who can join them at a senior level where although the role is still hands on in regards physical design work, the individual will be responsible for one other design engineer to start with and look to quickly expand the team and opportunity to be become Design Director.
As a business they turnover circa £26m per year and growing. Our clients are principle fit-out contractors and builders such as Willmott Dixon, ISG, Area, Twentyone Construction, Ambit, 8Build and Collins Construction to name a few. With these types of clients, we always have the opportunity to work on exciting and innovative projects as well as more standard commercial office work. Projects generally range from CAT A full building replacement schemes / new build projects to CAT B fit outs including hotels.
In regards the level of design they would normally expect a consultant to provide a RIBA stage 3 or 4 for most projects, which enables us a price but there is still a significant amount of design work to be undertaken to achieve construction level. Within this stage 3 to 5 level of design is where we would be expected to come up with varying VE scheme and sometime change the scheme completely if we see fit along with ratification of the consultants works.
This role will also involve input with the pre-contract division and assist in a securing of projects through design.
This role will be a mix of home working, office working and client meetings and all to be discussed.
We’re looking for a proactive, forward thinking individual who listens and work well in a team as well as having the confidence in their own abilities to challenge when needed.
- 10 years minimum experience as a mechanical bias design engineer with experience for working with or in a contractor business and producing designs for construction as opposed just concept.
- Previous consultant experience would be preferred but not essential.
- Good communication skills and ability work within a team.
- Well-presented and good client facing skills when required.
- Ability to physically undertake design work as well as check others.
- Forthcoming and happy to present their own design ideas.
- Experience of overseeing and assigning work to others.
- Attention to detail.
- Problem solving ability.
- Knowledge of but doesn’t need to have skill sets in AutoCAD or REVIT as we have an in-house team that will draw everything
- Overall responsibility for the design of all projects ensuring that standards and ER's are met.
- To take a client faced approach role and have early engagement be it pre or post tender with the clients offering viable economical solutions that provide benefit to all.
- To undertake detailed design work but delegate some designs to the team as appropriate.
- Efficiently manage the workload of the design engineers. Or where required the supply chain (outsourced design elements, Electrical design).
- To offer support pre contract for scheme changes, design basis for pricing etc.
- To offer post contract support to the project teams.
- To look for opportunities to advance the design aspects within the business be it technological advances or a stand-alone portfolio of clients.
- To appraise consultants scheme design and offer value through understanding to our client at a precontract stage.
- To appraise schemes and offer VE options to enhance the business position pre-contract and for cost benefits if undertaken post contract.
- To ensure clarity on design and scheme demarcation in collaboration with the delivery team.
- To assist with commissioning of projects with the delivery team as and when required