Our client is a privately owner managed contractor based in London with a turnover in excess of £70m for 2020. They have built bespoke projects for major global conglomerates, financial institutions and big tech brands. Boasting a mixture of single stage and 2 stage traditionally predesigned and D&B work with project values typically between £2 and £10 million but are more than comfortable delivering larger projects.
It is within their larger projects refurbishment division that we are looking for a Leader. A commercial ‘Tiger’ to sit alongside the Divisional Director for their refurbishment team. It’s fair to say that in the last 5 years this team has had both notable successes and projects that have proven to be painful and lossmaking. After some naval gazing and lessons learning, the Leadership team have beefed up the resource in terms of pre-construction risk mitigation by elevating the existing Commercial Director for the vertical into a purely contractual role whilst opening up this role to enable the right aspirational charger to shine.
This particular division has the capability and experience to deliver complex refurbishment schemes, ranging from £2m to £30m, with their ‘bread and butter’ projects ranging between £6-16m, in a fast-paced environment.
Their current portfolio covers buildings in the City, West End and Mid-Town both in occupation and vacant possession procured under a range of contracts, with their most frequent form being single stage D&B. The division has a healthy appetite for risk, which is reflected in their margin delivery. Win and pricing strategy are functions you will be involved with whilst enjoying the support of their Commercial Director, Surveying Director, Owner and external solicitor. Delivery wise there is one team headed by an existing Divisional Director who need commercial support but the teams are not strictly siloed providing a healthy flexible and collaborative function to the delivery model across the business.
The commercial team itself pound for pound is one of the best in the market and you would inherit a minimum of 3 surveyors. So, there is strength, depth and lots of talent that you will play an invaluable part in nurturing alongside the main board Commercial Director. The path is clear for promotion to Commercial Director within 48 months.
- Experience in delivering multiple London Refurbishment Schemes in excess of £5m
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with a competitor – preferable
- Experience in tender adjudications
- Good knowledge of forms of contract, Single stage D&B being essential
- Experience in commercial management of multiple sub-contractors, including chairing supply chain meetings, measurement and control cycle, certificates, accrual calculations and value allocation
- Have excellent communication – both oral and written
- Good problem-solving skills
- Ability to build strong, collaborative relationships with all management levels internally, as well as externally through engaging with the Professional Quantity Surveyors (PQS's)
- Collaborative and engaging leadership style. But leading by example is a MUST
- Highly ambitious and compelling but approachable and affable
- RICS / CIOB qualification – Not essential
- Reporting directly to the Commercial Director with responsibility for overseeing the Refurbishment portfolio
- Steering / involvement in 8-10 tenders a year
- Running and be responsible for 2 – 3 projects a year
- Preparing a range of documents such as cash flow reports, KPIs and forecasts to the Leadership structure
- Conducting other tasks such as coaching / overseeing the teams pricing variations, tender analysis / negotiation and letting of contract works
- Managing and developing Commercial Staff for each project as well as ensuring project is successfully delivered within set timescales and budget
- Preparing a range of documents such as cash flow reports and forecasts as well as delivering and producing monthly financial reports to the Directors
- Preparing tender enquiries and tender lists together with scopes of work for the procurement of the subcontract packages
- Liaising extensively with the clients and ensuring teams applications for payment and managing / pricing variations is productive and efficient.
- Managing major sub-contractors ensuring satisfaction of all specifications, deadlines and successful account negotiations.
- Ensuring all final accounts are top and tailed.
- Establishing and developing long term relationships with consultants including PQSs notably