Knowledge & Skills
- Must have previous Timber Frame experience
- Prior dealings with pre-fabricated bathroom pods would also be beneficial to the role (though not essential)
- Previous experience working on Hotels would also be advantageous
- Understanding of design risk
- Understanding of contract risk
- Leading / Chairing a meeting
- Commercial awareness
- Programme understanding and appreciation
- Time & Team management
Typical Job Function
(non - exhaustive list)
Oversee the Design Development Process for two projects which are currently at stage 3- 4 of the design process to working drawings and effective coordination on site. This will involve:
- Owning the information release schedule and cross referencing against the procurement schedule always with an eye to the installation programme and budget.
- Developing scope of work internally and for subcontractors – “Construction Documentation”
- Developing and implementing and maintaining a design management procedure for drawings, specifications and other technical documents produced in-house or through external parties.
- Developing a design responsibility matrix along with a distribution matrix project to project.
- Identifying documents required for a project based on drawings, finish/room schedules, door schedules and specifications and developing into a project check sheet/project report.
- Appraising subcontractor design capability and monitoring performance from a design perspective.
- Familiar with building regulations and interpretation into design and liaison with building control.
- Familiar with general planning requirements.
- Review employers requirements & CDP’s and implement design elements.
Ability to value engineer IS a MUST.
Ability to ‘reverse value engineer’ and look for opportunity to increase scope and contract value and introduce this at the optimum time to increase project profitability.
- Carry out regular site inspections and ensure construction in line with design and quality standards.
- Seek to establish building data including compilation of as built information of base build structure, envelope and MEP installation in particular; Survey as necessary.
- Liaise with the designer/architects on information flow and design strategy.
- Coordinate internal design in the preparation of shop drawings, coordination with sub-contractors design, liaison with internal site pre-construction and construction team.
- Assist in the preparation of contractors proposal revisions
- Coordinate FF&E.
- Oversee and Approve the Production of construction details and working shop drawings, develop a technical library.
- Monitor and manage design changes in order to control time and cost
- Assist in obtaining client sign off on design scheme as contract goes live and site start commences
- Attend project meetings
- Production of design reports specific to the elements of the project.
- Liaise and report to the PM assigned to the project to agreed frequencies
1. Passionate about the design process
2. Problem solving (actual and anticipated)
4. Self-motivating, ability to work under own direction
5. Team player
7. Effective communicator
8. Decisive & organised
9. Strong leader