Our client has over 20 years delivering quality construction solutions across London and the south of England. Built upon this ethos they have excelled through the years to become a leading main contractor within the commercial fit out, social housing, education, heritage, public buildings, healthcare, retail, residential and leisure sectors.
Thanks to continued solid performance they adapt to align with emerging markets. Over recent years they have carefully expanded our operations without over-leveraging our resources. This has allowed them to organically build up skill and equity in their business and be more competitive in the current market conditions. As a result, they offer their clients certainty and reliability – a reputation which is invaluable. In fact, over 50% of their business is derived from repeat custom – a direct result of our clients experiencing high quality of service on our projects.
Looking to consolidate their position in the market, has seen a restructuring of their preconstruction function, and as part of this they are looking to recruit a new member of the Bid Team.
The Bid Writer will take ownership of bids and examine our proposition in each, looking to challenge the business units and drive our operational teams to offer more, and better, as part of their submissions. This will come to form an important part of a bigger initiative to look at uplifting their designs, copywriting, management techniques and relationships with all parts of the business. As such, they envisage that the role would be split between both of our main office locations, also incorporating site visits as required (whilst also reacting to up-to-date guidance from the government).
Working closely with the Bid Manager and all other parts of the team, the candidate will be an enthusiastic and tenacious character who wants to be part of a developing and growing team. You will be prepared to contribute to new initiatives and be adaptable to the shifting requirements of a business, dealing with very different needs across its component parts.
While the struggles presented by COVID-19 have been felt strongly by most of us, our business is aiming for targeted project wins and the formation of a platform on which to build over the coming years. The role offers the potential to grasp an opportunity within a department currently taking shape and make it your own.
- Planning and managing all aspects of the bid process and delivering presentations in line with the company’s brand, position, and processes.
- Build relationships with key stakeholders.
- Lead kick-off workshops
- Facilitate and contribute to strategy/ solutioning workshops.
- Plan and manage bids.
- Manage direct reports.
External and Internal Interaction
- Externally - Clients and consultants as required through tender periods.
- Internally - Head of Bids, colleagues, and key stakeholders of all levels
- Professional with proven experience in bidding
- Ability to write compelling compliant content accurately in plain English and review the work of others.
- Question analysis, breakdown, and answer planning
- Legal and commercial appreciation of RFI/PQQ//RFP/ITT content
- Coaching others - includes delegating, coordinating, appraising, and mentoring colleagues - Both up and down the chain of seniority
- Persuading and influencing clients, consultants, suppliers, and colleagues
- Creating and delivering persuasive bids and presentations
- Giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Pitch and content coaching
- Project management
- Translation of brand strategy to content/communication
- Working under pressure
Other Attainments - The following are desirable but not fundamental - The quality of the person is the most important.
- Degree educated.
- APMP Foundation
Potential for Development - Management level
- Management of others
- Influencing and guiding stakeholders
- Understanding strategy, stakeholder motivation and goals
- Broadening range of experiences of producing bids for disciplines/sectors
- Independently leading large complex bids
- Expanding and maintaining professional networks internally and externally