An Exciting opportunity has arisen for an Assistant Estimator to join a steadily expanding Main Contractor in Surrey.
The right candidate will have at least two years experience in a similar position, be willing to learn and already have an understanding of the Construction Industry, preferably with a main contracting background. Some experience is essential. We would consider a Junior Quantity Surveyor looking to change disciplines and take the next step in their career.
Our Client works with on New Build, Refurbishment, fit-out and D&B projects in London and the South East up to a value of £8M in the Commercial, Sports, Residential, Educational and Ecclesiastical sectors.
Salary negotiable subject to experience + plus benefits + pension
The Candidate will be required to:
- Assist the Senior Estimator in taking tenders from initial enquiry to submission. Including sending out & chasing up subcontract & supplier enquiries.
- Understand the principles of producing quantities for a project. Be able to do some ‘taking off’, either by hand or using software such as Bluebeam.
- Prepare accurate subcontract packages, for simple trades, with a view to preparing more complicated packages as their experience increases.
- Clear queries generated by subcontractor/supplier returned quotes, initially under the guidance of the Senior Estimator.
The Candidate will possess:
- Previous main contracting experience of at least 2 years as a Trainee/Assistant Estimator or a Trainee/Assistant Quantity Surveyor.
- Knowledge of building material components and the process of construction.
- Basic taking off skills
- Computer skills, especially Excel
- Good organisation skills, thorough with an attention to detail
- Interests outside work
And the Candidate will be:
- Willing to learn and happy to take instruction.
- Professional, Self-motivated and have the ability to work in a team and eventually work independently under the direction of the Senior Estimator.
- Organised, and possess problem solving skills.
- Well-spoken and personable.
- Confident and resourceful